Thursday, October 18, 2012

Packing for Havasupai

Believe it or not, thevisualCollective has been around for 1.5 years now.

We are excited to celebrate with a killer backpacking trip to Havasupai!

Last year, most of us n00bs packed too much stuff. Here was my list from last year, with changes highlighted so you can see what I'm bringing this year.

Starting at the bottom left corner and working clockwise:
2x T shirts (downsizing to one spare and one on my back)
4x Socks (downsizing to two spare and one on my feets)
Adventure pants (quick-dry, zip-off, cargo pants - double as swimshorts)
black hoodie
serious rain jacket 
3x bandana
Serious hiking boots
Adventure hat
bag of miscellaneous medications
3x 1 liter water bottles
First Aid kit. Scissors, Gauze, tape, gloves etc.
SB 600 Speedlight
6x 4gb 300x CompactFlash memory cards
18-55mm kit lens
D300s camera body
35mm f/1.8 lens
Bread!
PB&J (not pictured)
2x Flashlight
headlamp + spare + batteries
75' of rope (now just 50')
48 AA batteries
Hammock
Sleeping bag
Adventure knife

Sarong/scarf

There you have it. Additionally, I will be wearing my second only pair of adventure pants and a second T shirt, as well as a third pair of socks. The bag weighs less than 30 25 pounds with water-weight, so it shouldn't be too hard on me.

Reducing redundancies will keep my bag lighter. I will also be bringing a hiking pole (or two) and *may* bring an extra liter of water.

Things you may notice as missing: propane stove and alcohol.
I'd rather carry bread and PB&J than two tanks of fuel (one as a backup) and a stove-thing - no open fires are allowed in the canyon.
Also, the Havasupai tribe prohibits alcohol in the canyon.

No comments: